Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Totalization of Shadows, Part XXII

Whatever this means,

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life…”-Thoreau, Walden

it doesn’t mean this,

“Farm boys wild to couple
With anything….with soft-wooded trees
With mounds of earth…mounds
Of pinestraw…” –Dickey, The Sheep Child

Whatever this meant,

“I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms…”-Thoreau, Walden


It also didn’t mean this,

“Farm boys wild to couple
With anything….with soft-wooded trees
With mounds of earth…mounds
Of pinestraw…” –Dickey, The Sheep Child

2 Comments:

Blogger Christoffer said...

He wants to 'reduce life to its lowest terms' .. Why does he want to do that? And isn't that a violation?

12:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is precisely what I want to discuss.

-Y

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home