Thursday, April 19, 2007

Desire Desire Everywhere, and not a Drop to...Desire

Without wavering, I have sided with those who believe the entire social field to be always already invested by desire-- that desire is always already everywhere articulating and activating social and cultural activity—that, as Deleuze and Guattari have put it, “ Social production is desiring production under determinate conditions.”

However, as I survey social production from my vantage point as a nondescript social atom, bobbing and swaying hither and yon on an ocean of anonymity, indeterminacy, and creative impotence – I see little in social production THAT I ACTUALLY DESIRE. I don't desire what I see articulated and activated in social and cultural production. Instead, I feel uneasy and anxious, even a sense of revulsion – at what is offered up for enjoyment and pleasure. (Never mind trying to explain what’s offered up as necessity or as ‘medicine’ – for my own good, whether I like it or not.)

I am at an impasse of sorts: I think that I can explain social production as desiring production, but in fact, I do not recognize where desire actually fits into social production. I also come to question the honesty and integrity of those who claim they do.

This being so, I can lend credence to the idea that people do “desire their own repression.” This would explain what I see. Desire animates the social field, but what is produced within the social field,(including the social field itself,) is anything but desirable. It's our own repression.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

What, specifically, is undesirable?

2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loss or abridgment of freedom. Loss or abrigment of autonomy and agency, or the inability, however that comes about, to continue to create these.

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home