Thursday, April 19, 2007

Desire Desire Everywhere, and not a Drop to...Desire

Without wavering, I have sided with those who believe the entire social field to be always already invested by desire-- that desire is always already everywhere articulating and activating social and cultural activity—that, as Deleuze and Guattari have put it, “ Social production is desiring production under determinate conditions.”

However, as I survey social production from my vantage point as a nondescript social atom, bobbing and swaying hither and yon on an ocean of anonymity, indeterminacy, and creative impotence – I see little in social production THAT I ACTUALLY DESIRE. I don't desire what I see articulated and activated in social and cultural production. Instead, I feel uneasy and anxious, even a sense of revulsion – at what is offered up for enjoyment and pleasure. (Never mind trying to explain what’s offered up as necessity or as ‘medicine’ – for my own good, whether I like it or not.)

I am at an impasse of sorts: I think that I can explain social production as desiring production, but in fact, I do not recognize where desire actually fits into social production. I also come to question the honesty and integrity of those who claim they do.

This being so, I can lend credence to the idea that people do “desire their own repression.” This would explain what I see. Desire animates the social field, but what is produced within the social field,(including the social field itself,) is anything but desirable. It's our own repression.


Blogger Matt Scofield said...

What, specifically, is undesirable?

2:46 PM  
Anonymous Yusef said...

Loss or abridgment of freedom. Loss or abrigment of autonomy and agency, or the inability, however that comes about, to continue to create these.

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home