Monday, September 24, 2007

Subsumption and Repression




If there was a "me" and if there was a "my desire" everything would be a lot easier.

I would sit myself down next to my upwelling desire and let it pour over me and then carry me away to do and to be all the things I could do and be.

However things went, good or bad, painfully or pleasurably, I wouldn't have to think about it. I would have what I desired, I would do what I desired, and I would be what I desired.

Sorry, Charlie.

“I” don't have an “I” and “I” don't have "my desire."

I am worked and reworked and then worked again, and I do believe that "my" pursuit of "my" desire and "my" pleasure is the purest form of "my" slavery, subsumption, and repression.

“I” am subjected to “my desire”, and this is not a statement of ascesis or morality or renunciation of the senses or the self.

I don’t want to talk about desire and I definitely do not want to effervesce about it.

I want to problematize "desire" – I want to throw up obstacles to it and create distances from it.

Desire is making desire, not having it.

I am coming to think that both "repression" and "subsumption" are conditions of being unable to make desire.

3 Comments:

Blogger Fido the Yak said...

Desire is making desire, not having it.

I am coming to think that both "repression" and "subsumption" are conditions of being unable to make desire.


I think you've problematized desire.

Are you still thinking of the question of why people desire their own repression? Is there a question here of why people make themselves unable to make desire, or would you emphasize how people are made unable make desire? Or is your thinking not leading in that direction at all?

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the questions, Mr. Yak.

What fascinates me now, and helps me to go in the direction I want to go ( and have wanted to go all along, with Orla's help ) is the realization that if to make desire you must problematize desire, the attitude toward both repression and subsumption changes almost entirely...Repression and subsumption represent inherent problematizations of desire - and I think this is the hint to the way to get at the positive and creative encountering of repression and subsumption.

3:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do people desire their own
repression? There are three straightforward answers to
this question: 1) Because they enjoy it (as a game fx), or 2) because they think they deserve it or deserve something that in conseqence causes self-repression, or because 3) they are stuck in
bad circumstances that they cannot change or feel that they cannot change. Since they can neither
change the circumstances, nor
accept them, the last alternative
is self-repression.

EVEN FLOW

2:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home