Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Where It is At, Now

"I adhere to the Socratic vision that philosophy should be premised on an encounter, preferably in public spaces, involving exchange and dialogue, and hopefully in such a way as to irritate the priests and the statesmen. Following Spinoza, Deleuze, and Badiou, I agree that the dream of philosophy since its inception with Thales is immanence, or the idea that we need not refer beyond the world or to special authorities to explain what is and value, and with Socrates that what matters is what is said, not who says it. Philosophical claims are claims that should be addressed to all, regardless of identity, nation, gender, religion, etc., or should be truly kosmopolitan claims premised on a subject that is void of its identifications. Following Lucretius, I hold that philosophy seeks to escape superstition and ideology. Philosophy seeks the conceptual technologies through discourse which might complete this dream. " - Sinthome

The above is from Sinthome's profile from the "Larval Subjects" blog :

http://larval-subjects.blogspot.com/

I knew I had to steal this fast... I don't know how much longer these pretty pebbles will be found strewn about on the beaches of virtuality.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come on, Yusef.

This has been on Levi's blog for months!

I don't know how much longer these pretty pebbles will be found strewn about on the beaches of virtuality. I knew I had to steal this fast...

They will be there forever. What's your rush?

What you might explore is the immanence (that's been there since Thales) in Deleuze's version. Is it different from the one 2400 years ago?

Or does it explain Deleuze's fascination with Nietzsche's eternal return?

Give yourself a break with the earth-shattering CREATIION OF CONCEPTS (you are desiring your own suppression in your continuing postponement!)

Why don't you create SMALL concepts?

The revolution Maggot is searching for is OVER.

All the best - and I mean it!

Orla Schantz

6:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I may be wrong about this, but I believe that Levi revises his profile from time to time, and the revision I've taken this from is relatively new.

Maggot and Cyber-boy aren't searching for a revolution.

Cyber-boy is sceptical about the whole idea of revolution, although this may ( paradoxically) have mainly to do with his problems with authority.

I may not know what you mean by this:

"They will be there forever. What's your rush? What you might explore is the immanence (that's been there since Thales) in Deleuze's version. Is it different from the one 2400 years ago?Or does it explain Deleuze's fascination with Nietzsche's eternal return?"

but I do think that there is, in Levi's statement, something simultaneously conservative and revolutionary, and that this simultaneity of the conservative and the revolutionary may be in accord with Deleuze's idea that repetition and difference are two sides of one coin...

Either way, it is refreshing...If it is old but it was refreshing, for me, it'd be good as new...

8:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stealer!

You're right, I do enjoy changing my clothes from time to time... Usually when people begin to recognize me in my clothes and they become too tight!

12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home